Grade level: It is an easy and simple craft for preschoolers and kindergartners .
Mat;rial needed : For this , you will need :
* oranges (1 per child)
* yarn or raffia (one or more colors) Yarn is much easier to use , as raffia has a tendency to be stubborn ...young students might end up frustrated dealing with it ..
* a pencil or pen
* a knife (to be use by an ADULT ONLY !!!)
* some white glue or double sticky tape
* a pair of scissors
* some buttons (for eyes)
* some cloves (for eyes or mouth)
Now that you have all the material needed you are ready to start :)
Activity: Each child will use their imagination to create a head with their orange . Once finished , it will decorate their desk . If you do that at home , you can decorate the table with them :) Ok , let's go to work !
(1) The first thing the child needs to do is to draw eyes and a mouth with their pen or pencil . Just like this ...
(2) Once the outlines of the eyes and mouth are clearly visible , the student should bring the orange to the teacher , so the teacher (or adult) can remove the skin with a knife , leaving a white space . Here is how it will look like :
(3) The student can then add cloves for the pupils .
(4) It is now time to take care of the hair .I do prefer to use yarn over raffia as it is easier to manipulate .With raffia , children may easily get frustrated . The child can choose one or more colors of yarn .. He/she swill cut a fair amount of small pieces (that will fit neatly on the "head" .)
(5) He/she will then pour some glue on the top of the orange (you may opt to use double sticky tape instead of the glue) :
and add the pieces of yarn one by one to cover the entire head ...
And it is done ! Isn't it cute to decorate the students desk ? And so easy to do !
Here is another example . This one has buttons for eyes , double sticky tape instead of glue and raffia for hair .
Here is a look at both of them together :
As I said they make a sweet student's desk decoration in a classroom , or fall display at home .
I hope you got inspired . Have a wonderful week :)