Grade level: This art lesson or craft can be used by teachers in a classroom or by a parent at home . Kids of any age can do it . For the youngest ones , you may want to keep the designs simple .
Objective : This project is using the same concept than negatives for photographs .
Material : You will need :
* orange tissue paper 8" x 11" (or any size you wish)
* black tissue paper (or black construction paper)
* a white color pencil
Activity : This project is very simple .
1. Every child will need to draw , on the black tissue paper with a white pencil , a shadow of a Halloween design such as pumpkins (plain or with carved eyes , nose , and mouth ) , bats , crows , haunted houses , owls , etc . Small children may be frustrated when trying to draw on a tissue paper . If it is the case you may want to use a black construction paper instead of a black tissue paper .
2. Now they will need to cut the outline of their Halloween design .
3. The next step will be to take the orange tissue paper . The student will arrange all of his "Halloween shadows" on it . Once he/she likes the way it looks , he/she will glue the "shadows" in place .
4. You can now tape the beautiful Halloween decoration on your classroom/your house windows .
Here is an example for younger students where you may want to do something simple , such as pumpkins carved with eyes , nose and mouth .
For older children , you may want to stimulate their imagination a little bit more by asking them to create the shadow of a haunted house and its surroundings ...Well , just something a little bit more complex and challenging .
Here is an example :